Individuals with 7q11.23 Duplication have similar challenges. However each individual is impacted differently by the duplication. Some individuals have autism, ADHD, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, anxiety, Sensory Integration Disorder, and or OCD in addition to the duplication. Because of the wide range of issues associated with the duplication, it is strongly recommended a complete physical, cognitive, speech, and psychological profile is completed for each individual. Based upon results, a comprehensive treatment plan can be created to address each individual’s challenges.
While treatment provides support and assists with development, it is important to remember there is not a treatment to “fix” the duplication as it is a chromosomal disorder. Acquired services, supports, and medical treatment will be helpful in assisting the individual to manage their complications, improve their quality of life, and progress in development.
As stated in previous information, it is imperative a full cardiac echo and kidney ultrasound are completed in order to look for structural defects. Aortic dilation can be life threatening! Follow up cardiac echos are needed in the future in order to monitor structure and progression. It is recommended echos are repeated every six months to a year if the dilation is present. If no dilation is found, a repeat echo is recommended each year. There have been some cases where no dilation was found on the first echo, but a dilation was discovered on follow up echos.
Treatments for 7q11.23 Duplication may include but are not limited to:
- Literacy & numeracy support, multi-sensory learning programs, visuals, emphasis on speech & language supports
- Cardiac Defects – aortic dilation, (medications and ongoing monitoring may be warranted)
- Digestive (diet, chronic constipation, medications to increase motility)
- Possible growth hormone deficiencies (endocrinology monitoring & possible need for medications).
- Occupational Therapy (sensory, anxiety, developmental coordination)
- Physical Therapy (gross motor development)
- Psychological Profile (anxiety, negative behaviors, mood management. Medication may be needed.)
- Social Skills – autism related services
- Speech Therapy – PROMT Method
- Medication Management may be required to assist with Behavior Therapy